Guidelines for submitting applications to The Roomkeepers Society
The Society does not deal directly with applicants for assistance. It relies on social workers/key workers employed by statutory agencies and charitable bodies to make the case for assistance on behalf of applicants and vouch for the bond fides of applicants.
The Society will only consider applications made by such social workers, and will accept or reject applications at its absolute discretion.
An application form will be provided to social workers on request to the SIRKS office (Phone 01 6676213, or email: email@example.com).
Application forms must be completed in full, and include a typed cover letter on headed paper and signed by the social worker/key worker. The application must also be accompanied by a data protection consent form signed by the applicant and witnessed by the social worker/key worker.
Completed forms should be sent to:
The Sick & Indigent Roomkeepers Society, 41 Fitzwilliam Square West, Dublin, D02 F961.
Guidelines for social workers
- Applicants must be resident in Dublin city or county.
- Aid should be for severe distress such as a crisis precipitated by unforeseen illness/financial hardship. Particularly favourable consideration will be given where aid can contribute to getting the recipient back on their feet and achieving self-sufficiency.
- The Society expects social workers to recognise that its funds are limited and that a strong case for assistance needs to be made in every case. For example, if it is clear that the applicant has a significant net weekly income, a request for financial help will need to be justified by reference to exceptional circumstances.
- Statutory sources of aid and entitlements must first have been applied for and found inadequate.
- The Society can only help with relatively small amounts of financial help or store vouchers. However, experience in reviewing applications has shown that such assistance on its own may not help the applicant. In such cases, the social worker should demonstrate that a holistic approach (possibly involving other agencies) is being adopted to address all of the issues facing the applicant, e.g. that the Money Advice & Budgeting Service (MABS) will provide advice in relating to managing household finances.
- While aid is normally given to a family/individual once only, repeat applications in cases of particular need may be considered. No on-going commitments can be entered into, though aid may be dispensed on a phased basis if this is deemed best.
- Requests for aid must be accompanied by a fully completed Application Form, (Version 1 Nov 2019), includiing a fully completed GDPR Consent Form, provided by the Society and a brief typed covering letter on headed notepaper signed by the social worker/key worker, showing CORU number/Qualification/Title.
- The date of birth of the applicant must always be given.
- The covering letter should be brief, detailing the enclosed documentation in bullet point format e.g. Application Form, Invoices/Quotations/copy Utility Bills and Consent Form.
- Requests for utility bill payments must be accompanied by copies of the relevant bills. Estimates/quotes for new or replacement items such as furniture and white goods must also be provided.
- In respect of education and training, applications for assistance will be considered for one year of the course only, whether that is the first year or the final year. If the course is multi year, applicants should therefore indicate how the remaining years of the course will be funded.
- The Society provides financial assistance on a wide variety of requests. Whereas all applications are reviewed and considered on their individual merits, the Society reserves the absolute right to refuse any application. In particular, requests for assistance will not be accepted in respect of the following; funerals, rent and deposits, rent and mortgage arrears, credit card payments, loans and holidays.
PLEASE NOTE: The provision of the information outlined above, and in the manner requested, will help the Society to review and respond to your requests in a more efficient manner.